The simFlight Network Forums

Tracon 2012

GrumpyBrott

8 hours ago, FeelThere Ariel said:

Please verify if there are any firewalls or antivirus activated that may be interfering with Tower3DPro. You can try disabling them just for a test run of Tower3DPro. 

Wrong product name on two accounts. The OP is talking about Tracon!2012.

And it's Tower!3D Pro not Tower3DPro. I know I'm nitpicking, but ...

1 hour ago, crbascott said:

I know I'm nitpicking, but ...

From time to time I tend to be nitpicky, too. But in this case I'm going full rant on it.

10 hours ago, FeelThere Ariel said:

Please verify if there are any firewalls or antivirus activated that may be interfering with Tower3DPro. You can try disabling them just for a test run of Tower3DPro.

This is not aimed only at Ariel or FeelThere, but as well:

Can you please stop recommending to turn off antivirus or firewall software, if for testing or not? It's 2020; it's not the 90s or early 2000s. With modern antivirus and firewall solutions there is absolutely no reason to disable them.
You could refer to articles from the companies' knowledge bases. Every antivirus program I know of can be configured to install and run a computer game without negative impact.
If you want to go the easy way, you could say: Make sure that installed security software does not interfere with the installation and execution of the game. In this case it is up to the customer to decide how to do or solve it.
I personally consider a recommendation to deactivate a security software as a solution to install and run games to be wrong and unprofessional.

At this point I declare my tantrum to be over.

• Thanks 1

@crbascott you´re totally right. Thank you for nitpicking on it. Completely oversaw the title. (Fixed btw.) 

@EliGrim thank you for the feedback. There have been many times in our support where the antivirus is the one causing some kind of issue. Disabling it to do a test run is an easy way for us to discard that option, but I´ll definitely take up on your suggestions. 

On 9/13/2020 at 7:32 AM, EliGrim said:

With modern antivirus and firewall solutions there is absolutely no reason to disable them.

While wholly true what I will say is some of the definition updates and changes to how the real time scanners handle certain applications or comm's it can still break things. I don't disable AV entirely but there are times when I have to stop the real time scanners or add an application as an exception that never had issues previously because of an update or change to what they are looking for which that app is now in violation of for whatever reason.

• Upvote 1