The simFlight Network Forums

64 bit compatibility?

6 hours ago, RCFlyer said:

If LM P3dV4 is 64 bit will FSUIPC be able to be configured to work?  I would really like to continue having its capabilities.

No, not possible. FSUIPC4 is a 32-bit DLL and cannot be run as it is in a 64-bit program.

The possibility of a 64-bit version, a NEW product which would be called FSUIPC5 and require new registration codes, is being considered, but there will be no decision for some time, and certainly not until after any 64-bit version of P3D is released, if ever. (And probably well after, as it would not be a trivial development).

Pete

• 3 months later...

Yes, that statement is still mostly true, though I have investigated how difficult it would be to convert FSUIPC to 64-bit, and it is definitely doable if and when necessary, at least as far as the program interface is concerned.

I'd be less sure about some of the user facilities. To start with I'd probably discard all the weather fiddling stuff in the options, which are largely redundant these days with programs like Active Sky, Opus, and so on doing all these things much better.

Anyway, I'm on holiday soon for two weeks. Back 26th May. 

Pete

• Upvote 1

Hi Peter

just wondering if there is a probability that with the advent of FSW are you considering the 64 bit fsuipc any further than p3D

hope you are having a great holiday.

Adrian

On 5/14/2017 at 5:23 PM, aidy said:

Hi Peter

just wondering if there is a probability that with the advent of FSW are you considering the 64 bit fsuipc any further than p3D

hope you are having a great holiday.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Dovetail in there twitch broadcast a week ago categorically said they will not and have no interest for/to having FSUIPC in there simulator or compatibility.
They said they will and want to do everything themselves using "simconnect"

Hardware developers and software developers must use "simconnect" to interact with there sim.

Here is the twitchtv broadcast.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/141791355

On 5/8/2017 at 6:35 PM, guenseli said:

Thanks for answering, Pete

ok, then we have a P3D v4 release date ;)

Close verfy close....24 May P3D4 Release announced.   He has 4 days to get the new version ready:)

Seriously I hope a 64 bit  version is released.

Hopefully Pete comes back in a healthy shape and relaxed!

I think without having Fsuipc 5 I could bin most of the hardware in my Homecockpit.

There are so many hardware items in it which would not function anymore!

so Pete, please give it a go and get us the 64 bit Application.......even with new registration no problem!

If nothing else I'd really like the hardware/joystick stuff sooner rather than later, haha.  I have a fair bit of home cockpit crap and losing all my buttons and switches would be kind of lousy.  But, it's summer, so I'll probably be flying less anyways, and can therefore be patient ;)

-stefan

5 hours ago, holi said:

Hopefully Pete comes back in a healthy shape and relaxed!

I think without having Fsuipc 5 I could bin most of the hardware in my Homecockpit.

There are so many hardware items in it which would not function anymore!

so Pete, please give it a go and get us the 64 bit Application.......even with new registration no problem!

Agreed

+1

Pete,

If you undertake the task of converting FSUIPC to work with P3 V4, do you think that it would be feasible to create an X-Plane version as well? I know little about coding other than HTML. I was wondering if both platforms could be developed for in parallel now that they are both 64 bit. X-Plane sorely needs I/O software like yours.

Thanks,

Ian

I don't presume to speak for him but I can say with pretty high certainty that he won't. The bitness is the least of the differences there. They are wildly different programs and would probably share next to no code between fsuipc and a theoretical xpuipc. He's also said he's pretty much done with primary development as he's sick of it, and someone else can take up the torch. 

I would be astonished if he took up that project because there's just next to no similarities - it's not just porting code and fixing offsets, it's basically starting from scratch. 

-stefan 

On 5/17/2017 at 3:28 AM, jannier said:

Hi Adrian,

Dovetail in there twitch broadcast a week ago categorically said they will not and have no interest for/to having FSUIPC in there simulator or compatibility.
They said they will and want to do everything themselves using "simconnect"

Hardware developers and software developers must use "simconnect" to interact with there sim.

Here is the twitchtv broadcast.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/141791355

That is a game killer for me. There will not be any Dovetail products in my future. That is for sure! Looks like

P3DV4 will be my path once I decide to give up FSX. Not looking forward to having to regenerate the 7259 lines

of my current FSUIPC4.ini file!  :(

1 hour ago, Gypsy Baron said:

That is a game killer for me. There will not be any Dovetail products in my future. That is for sure! Looks like

P3DV4 will be my path once I decide to give up FSX. Not looking forward to having to regenerate the 7259 lines

of my current FSUIPC4.ini file!  :(

You should be able to port the bulk of it to the new version, I'd think. 

-stefan 

1 hour ago, shortspecialbus said:

You should be able to port the bulk of it to the new version, I'd think. 

-stefan 

I have my fingers crossed  :)  I have untold hours invested in creating my 'aircraft specific' sections with heavy use of conditional statements to allow the 10 switches on my  Saitek Pro throttle quadrants to have up to 10 unique assignments for each switch for each aircraft.

All of that has to be done by hand edits of the ini file. When Pete added the auto-comment feature that made life easier for me in following my own coding and not having to add my own comments as I had been doing all along!

Currently I do not have to use the keyboard or mouse to any extent to fly any of my aircraft from cold & dark to in the air and return, thanks to FSUIPC4. I have lots of hours invested in lua scripts as well

Paul

Just now, Gypsy Baron said:

I have my fingers crossed  :)  I have untold hours invested in creating my 'aircraft specific' sections with heavy use of conditional statements to allow the 10 switches on my  Saitek Pro throttle quadrants to have up to 10 unique assignments for each switch for each aircraft.

All of that has to be done by hand edits of the ini file. When Pete added the auto-comment feature that made life easier for me in following my own coding and not having to add my own comments as I had been doing all along!

Currently I do not have to use the keyboard or mouse to any extent to fly any of my aircraft from cold & dark to in the air and return, thanks to FSUIPC4. I have lots of hours invested in lua scripts as well

Paul

Well aware of the size and breadth of your files - I've stolen plenty of bits and pieces that you've posted from it over the years for a2a stuff ;) 

-stefan 

On 5/8/2017 at 11:33 PM, Pete Dowson said:

Yes, that statement is still mostly true, though I have investigated how difficult it would be to convert FSUIPC to 64-bit, and it is definitely doable if and when necessary, at least as far as the program interface is concerned.

I'd be less sure about some of the user facilities. To start with I'd probably discard all the weather fiddling stuff in the options, which are largely redundant these days with programs like Active Sky, Opus, and so on doing all these things much better.

Anyway, I'm on holiday soon for two weeks. Back 26th May.

Pete - I hope you had a nice break ... and you're suitably refreshed to tackle the 64-bit DLL!!! I think you'll be amazed - not so much by how many people use FSUIPC, but how much those of us that do actually depend on it.

Adam.

On 5/18/2017 at 5:10 PM, FireRx said:

I hope Pete reconsiders for P3D x464bit.

I didn't need to "reconsider" as I hadn't decided way back at the beginning of the year.

There will be an FSUIPC5 for P3D4, but first release won't coincide with the rather rushed (in my opinion) release of P3D4 on Tuesday. And FSUIPC5 will be a new product, not an upgrade. It's been too much work to have it as just an upgrade.

The user weather stuff is stripped out, and some other facilities do not yet work (mouse macros, menu diversion, frictions just to name three). They are dependent on further P3D development.

Pete

• Upvote 5