The simFlight Network Forums

Plane not holding short, crash...

pkorkala

Hi there controllers!

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a bug?

I'm running KMEM, and told FDX619 to hold short of RWY 27. He replies that he would hold short of RWY 27. 30 seconds later he has totally forgotten what he promised me to do, and runs into an departing aircraft of RWY27... The game of course gives me -1000 points in reward.

Is the hold short command useless, and I should monitor every single plane in proximity of a RWY?

Thanks! 

Peter, ESSA

image.thumb.png.3f8b0ceca4611e67c16dd71260f37b5d.png

1 hour ago, hexzed said:

Hold short is a valid command. Did you give any other commands beforehand? If its repeatable it's a bug.

Thanks! The only earlier command I gave to FDX619 was Taxi to apron via Y.

I continued to play after this incident, and it worked better when I didn't give the "hold short"-command. I'll try to make this situation up again in the next simulation-round, to see if this is a repeatable bug.

/Peter

The plane should hold short of all runways without a command anyway.

I just tried this myself without the hold short command and the plane did hold short, so i think more testing is required.

One thing to watch out for is that a single hold short command will (usually) hold short of the specified runway, but when starting a roll again will ignore all other runway hold points after that runway until its destination.

6 hours ago, pkorkala said:

I'm running KMEM, and told FDX619 to hold short of RWY 27.

1 hour ago, hexzed said:

One thing to watch out for is that a single hold short command will (usually) hold short of the specified runway, but when starting a roll again will ignore all other runway hold points after that runway until its destination.

Is it conceivable that the speech recognition detected a runway other than 27 and therefore FDX916 courageously threw itself in front of the arriving aircraft?

EDIT: Just took a look at the screenshot... New thought: Is it possible that HOLD SHORT commands are only used for one (e.g. the right) side of the runway by the game and so the command "HOLD SHORT OF RWY 9" would have led to the goal?

47 minutes ago, EliGrim said:

Is it conceivable that the speech recognition detected a runway other than 27 and therefore FDX916 courageously threw itself in front of the arriving aircraft?

EDIT: Just took a look at the screenshot... New thought: Is it possible that HOLD SHORT commands are only used for one (e.g. the right) side of the runway by the game and so the command "HOLD SHORT OF RWY 9" would have led to the goal?

No - the specific runway  number doesn't matter.  Normally, the hold short will "fail" only if the intersection design is flawed (which doesn't appear to be the case) or as @hexzed mentioned a previous command causes the sim to improperly ignore it. For future reference, the issue is easily traceable by looking at the log file.

I've seen a few issues similar to that, but mine were because of another type of command superseded the hold short or I gave a few too many commands too quickly and the game even thought it acknowledged them did not actually follow them.  Closest I have had to this was giving a plane a hold short of a runway not in their path so they will continue across another runway then they sometimes ignore my hold short command.

For some Taxiway issues I had one at KMCO on E or F I think that crosses over to the GA area where when I tell the plane to take the taxiway to apron they just cruise across the runway most of the time not stopping at all without a continue command from me.  Doesn't always happen though.