The simFlight Network Forums

Troubleshooting chart

707FAN

I have done some major work on YMML schedule, terminal files etc. When tested I got the dreaded 9% stop on startup. I T/S it to a problem with the airplanes file. All fixed there!!

Having read many posts about crashes, startup problems etc. it appears that the critical startup areas are 9%, 63% around 78% from memory. I know that the 63% stop is a problem with the schedule file. So what am I on about???

As there are a large number of users developing schedules and altering the airport files etc. and they have come upon loading problems due to wrong syntax in one of the files. I know I have.

I am suggesting  that a troubleshooting table be devised identifying the startup problems, what they indicate, and some fixes.  This could be expanded to include crash problems as well.

The format might be: where the load stops, %, reason, items to look for. Perhaps in xls file.

This could be a sticky in with the current sheet, new schedules etc. as a reference post.

I am happy to kick it off, but need info from the gurus  like Hexhead, PedanticG and others to what to include in the troubleshooting chart. Perhaps FeelThere Vic or Ariel might like to contribute. It might stop some repeated posts that they have to investigate and reply to.

Wide open for ideas. Whether good or bad. 

Kev M

• Like 1

Hi Kev

Great idea!

I can definitely confirm that the 9% stop is due to errors within ANY of the files in the ...extensions/airfields folder

I've also noticed "hesitation points" for lack of a better term at 63%, 72% and at 81% - I suspect that's where the game is loading critical data.

Regards,

BLB - Peter

@Jason-118 , @blacklabelbraai & any others interested.

I have noticed the hesitations as well and assumed it was looking for particular files and checking them for syntax etc.

I realise the log file does give the reason for the stoppage but having a quick reference might also help finding the problem quickly. 

When I get time I will load an airport such as KMCO or KMEM and make some dodgy files one at a time  and try to see which one it stalls at and at what %. From there I can start a t/shooting table to kick off with.

It might be a bit of fun .

Kev M

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 8:26 AM, 707FAN said:

@Jason-118 , @blacklabelbraai & any others interested.

I have noticed the hesitations as well and assumed it was looking for particular files and checking them for syntax etc.

I realise the log file does give the reason for the stoppage but having a quick reference might also help finding the problem quickly. 

When I get time I will load an airport such as KMCO or KMEM and make some dodgy files one at a time  and try to see which one it stalls at and at what %. From there I can start a t/shooting table to kick off with.

It might be a bit of fun .

Kev M

You and I have a different concept of the term fun, cobber 🙂

Can't wait to see your first iteration of this, I think it's gonna be a winner, just like your lads in the 1st Ashes game!

Let's hope all the knowledgeable folk climb on board and contribute. It really sounds like a fantastic tool.

off to work now, after 2 mugs of coffee!

Cheers,

BLB (Peter)

• 2 weeks later...