The simFlight Network Forums

Stu-tu-tuttering

FredJohnson

Well, I just got the PHNL add on over the weekend.  The airport looks nice, but the planes are stuttering pretty badly, even with very little active traffic. I put together a new PC recently, Ryzen 3700x, 2070 Super, 32GB RAM... I didn't expect Tower to still run like this.  Anyone find a way to smooth things out, Nvidia graphics settings or something?  I think it's probably just the Tower code.

I found a bug in the default GA schedule 5 minutes into playing but not a big deal, I fixed that. 

Thanks

Fred

Scoob,

Nothing in the background, the machine is brand new, I haven't even installed AV yet.  My machine runs x-plane at 60fps at 3500x1440, it should be able to handle Tower I would think.  Are you saying yours does not stutter?  When the planes are taking off?

Thanks

4 hours ago, FredJohnson said:

the planes are stuttering pretty badly

First of all it would have to be defined what this means. For some this might be a slightly unstable framerate and for others unplayable 2 frames per second.

For example, in the case of a departure, the aircraft goes through a series of phases. At the transition to each phase, the aircraft pauses briefly. This is unfortunately "normal". Furthermore, the game does not run smoothly, no matter what hardware you use. It is simply not very well optimized.

15 minutes ago, EliGrim said:

First of all it would have to be defined what this means. For some this might be a slightly unstable framerate and for others unplayable 2 frames per second.

For example, in the case of a departure, the aircraft goes through a series of phases. At the transition to each phase, the aircraft pauses briefly. This is unfortunately "normal". Furthermore, the game does not run smoothly, no matter what hardware you use. It is simply not very well optimized.

Yes, that's it exactly, brief pauses, not unplayable, just not smooth.  That's what I figured, hopefully the next version is better optimized.  Thanks, Eli

lol

I just answered this in an old post i found while searching for something else, then I read this post 🙂

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

A couple of years too late for this one, I found the thread while searching for something else.

The short answer is that it's a program bug.

The long answer:
It has nothing to do with video drivers etc. The model for the plane is lagging behind the calculated position of the plane and moves towards the calculated position on every frame. This is a standard way of moving models in a networked game. However, the plane model is moving towards the calculated position slower than the calculated position is moving, thus the model starts to lag more and more behind where it should be. When this gap reaches more than 200 ft then the plane model snaps to the calculated position and the cycle starts again.

15 hours ago, DeltaVII said:

Do you happen to have a simple Full HD monitor (1920x1080) standing around somewhere?

It did the same thing on my previous PC with a standard 1080 monitor.  In fact, on some airports (KLGA comes to mind) the planes would do complete 360 degree turns in mid-air while taking off.

18 minutes ago, FredJohnson said:

It did the same thing on my previous PC with a standard 1080 monitor.  In fact, on some airports (KLGA comes to mind) the planes would do complete 360 degree turns in mid-air while taking off.

The 360 thing is not new, and it's not a graphics driver issue. It's some plane types at some airports, and it seems to be related to assigned taxi routes and/or changes in the departure (I haven't figured it out, yet). It seems like under certain circumstances the game engine fixes an error in orientation or pathfinding or something like that, like with the taxiing out of the ramps (especially the MA ramp at JFK where some gates produce spinning aircraft, because they're offset from the taxi path and/or still connected to the tugs) or even lining up on the runway.

But we won't see that fixed - Tower!3D will stay as it is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...