The simFlight Network Forums

Been having fun with delays

CL30

I feel like we discussed this topic a while back, but I can't remember.  I've been messing around with certain planes having "delays," induced by me, of course.

I check out The Weather Channel to see which parts of the US are getting slammed.  For example, today the Gulf Coast, parts of Florida, and MSP are all somewhat impacted.  So, when I see a plane pop up with those destinations, I make up an EDCT (Estimated Departure Clearance Time) for them and type it into their strip.  Then I have to find a place on the field to have them hold where they won't be in the way of everyone else.  As their EDCT draws closer, I'll taxi them up closer and clear them for take-off as soon as their time comes up.  Really fun, and makes the game MUCH more difficult!

Anyone else mess around with this?

Clever.  I've never been that specific about it, but I have on occasion created random delays in a similar fashion.  Sometimes, I will force planes to sit in place a while after pushback, or, as you did, taxi them to some unused taxiway and hold them for a while.  I have found that there are a lot of creative things like that you can do in this game along those lines.  It would be nice though if the the game had dedicated holding areas at airports so that you could just tell a plane to taxi to "pad xxx" and await instructions.  Maybe in the next version...

Andrew

Just now, Avwriter said:

Clever.  I've never been that specific about it, but I have on occasion created random delays in a similar fashion.  Sometimes, I will force planes to sit in place a while after pushback, or, as you did, taxi them to some unused taxiway and hold them for a while.  I have found that there are a lot of creative things like that you can do in this game along those lines.  It would be nice though if the the game had dedicated holding areas at airports so that you could just tell a plane to taxi to "pad xxx" and await instructions.  Maybe in the next version...

Andrew

Dedicated areas would be a great feature!  Would be cool if they could even incorporate deicing, lol.

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2018 at 8:28 PM, CL30 said:

I feel like we discussed this topic a while back, but I can't remember.  I've been messing around with certain planes having "delays," induced by me, of course.

I check out The Weather Channel to see which parts of the US are getting slammed.  For example, today the Gulf Coast, parts of Florida, and MSP are all somewhat impacted.  So, when I see a plane pop up with those destinations, I make up an EDCT (Estimated Departure Clearance Time) for them and type it into their strip.  Then I have to find a place on the field to have them hold where they won't be in the way of everyone else.  As their EDCT draws closer, I'll taxi them up closer and clear them for take-off as soon as their time comes up.  Really fun, and makes the game MUCH more difficult!

Anyone else mess around with this?

Wow, what an awesome idea!! I'll have to try that out!

How do you type in EDCT in their strips? Just click and type?

/Peter

I've done it once and it was interesting, I think I stopped due to some other issues that I think have mostly been patched out.  Worth getting back into for some fun.  Been tinkering with another interesting idea along that vein if I get the time to give it a shot I'll post it :) 

13 hours ago, pkorkala said:

Wow, what an awesome idea!! I'll have to try that out!

How do you type in EDCT in their strips? Just click and type?

/Peter

Sorry for not getting back to you quickly enough, but glad to see others have!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CL30 said:

Sorry for not getting back to you quickly enough, but glad to see others have!

Thanks anyway CL30! 16 hours is quick enough for me! 

And thanks for info about the issue with multi monitor setup, @crbascott! This explains why I couldn't figure out how to do it. Guess I'll have to place the strip on the main monitor for this gameplay then...

/Peter

• Like 1