The simFlight Network Forums

KLGA grills my CPU and crashes my PC

EliGrim

Hello everyone,

I bought KLGA quite a while ago, but I only got to try it yesterday.
At first I noticed that the movements are faster than at other airport DLCs. The aircraft models move so fast that it is comparable to twice or maybe even four times the speed at other airports.
Personally, that's very welcome to me, but...

At the same time T!3D Pro overheats my CPU while playing KLGA and overflows the Windows Page File. After a few minutes this results either in a safety shutdown of the system or in a crash with blue screen and Page File warning.

Changes to the Page File, such as reducing or enlarging does not bring any change.
A deactivation of the Page File results in a Windows system hold with blue screen due to insufficient RAM or an even faster emergency shutdown of the PC due to overheating.

CPU, GPU and case are dynamically cooled. Typically the case fans are at 100% when 60 °C / 140 °F are reached. The CPU cooling is at over 71 °C / 160 °F at 100%. Running all fans manually at 100% (2200 rpm CPU - 140mm, 2900 rpm system fans - 5x 120mm - 2x front in, 3x top/back out) is merely loud, but does not prevent overheating when I try to play KLGA.

Today I tried the base game airports and all DLCs in my possession. Only KLGA has these problems. Other DLCs or other CPU-intensive games like Planet Coster don't overheat my system.

My Specs (as detailed as possible to avoid a back and forth):
- Windows 10 Pro v1903 (latest build, latest updates)
- MB MSI B350M PRO-VDH (latest Bios)
- CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (6 cores / 12 threads, 3,4 / 3,9 GHz, not OC)
- GPU MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X (6GB GDDR5, 192-bit), (core clocks 1784 MHz / 1569 MHz, memory speed 8008 MHz, not OC)
   Latest GeForce Game Ready Driver v441.08 (10/29/2019) installed
- RAM T-Force Nighthawk 32 GB DDR4-3200 (running in 2999 MHz profile with 1.32 V)
- SSD (240 GB) for Windows, SSD (250 GB) for Temp, Data and Program Cache, SSHD (2 TB) for games
- Latest Steam Version of T!3D Pro (SP3.3c), RC for KLGA (and others), RT sp6v17

Has anyone experienced anything like this or has any idea what I can do?

Regards
EliGrim

Edited by EliGrim
Update to GeForce Experience 3.20.1.57 and Game Ready Driver 441.12 (11/04/2019) does not bring any improvement.

21 minutes ago, hexzed said:

Unfortunately KLGA has never caused me any issues, I get more stuttering at JFK

So do the real world ATCs...

@EliGrim It's not KLGA, it's Tower itself. It already burnt through an older graphics card in my PC, and the CPU is equally under stress.
However, it might be something specific with your PC configuration, in combination with the graphics engine that FT uses
. I'm running an older machine (that I'm willing to replace next year) with a seven-year-old AMD A10-5800K CPU, a two-year-old Radeon RX 560 (4 GB) graphics card, and 2x4 GB DDR3 Kingston RAM, and I don't have those problems in this severity.
Just to be sure: Have you already cleaned the inside of your PC? And have you uninstalled KLGA and tried it again? There's probably something wrong with the installation?

And another idea: Did you try a RAM test? Maybe one of your Nighthawks is faulty, and it's only KLGA showing it (I've already seen the wildest things...)?

10 hours ago, hexzed said:

I get more stuttering at JFK

Hi @hexzed, yes, JFK also stutters for me as soon as I use DBRITE or ADIRS on a second monitor.

9 hours ago, DeltaVII said:

Have you already cleaned the inside of your PC? And have you uninstalled KLGA and tried it again? There's probably something wrong with the installation?

And another idea: Did you try a RAM test? Maybe one of your Nighthawks is faulty, and it's only KLGA showing it (I've already seen the wildest things...)?

Hi @DeltaVII, thanks for your reply.

I used UNetbootin to use SystemRescueCD on a USB Drive to check for hardware errors, without result. eventvwr.msc (Windows Event Viewer) shows the crashes (shutdown), but otherwise no abnormalities and a RAM test using mdsched.exe (Windows Memory Diagnostic) doesn't detected any problems.

I use dust filters under the magnetic air inlet grids (I don't know if this is the right English translation) of the PC case. However, I have checked that my PC is clean. I also made sure that the thermal paste (ARCTIC MX-4 2019) is not dried out.

I successfully ran CPU, GPU and Drive stress tests and benchmarks using CINEBENCH, 3DMark AE and 7-Zip. Tower!3D Pro and all AddOns were uninstalled, system and registry cleaned and then reinstalled before I replayed all DLCs (including KLGA).

T!3D Pro typically uses ~1.5 GB of dedicated GPU memory at (of course) near maximum 3D utilization (96 - 98%), ~5.5 GB of system memory, the CPU temperature rarely exceeds 63 °C / 144 °F, and the CPU core power draws about 20 W with peaks of up to 63 W. Once I play KLGA these values explode within minutes. And it is EXCLUSIVELY the case with KLGA!

I think it's fair to say I'm completely at a loss!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hexzed said:

If you chuck a small custom schedule in there, is it the same?

Just tested it. This is the complete schedule, played in 1x speed:

ATL, LGA, 320, DL, 1001, 10:01, 12:00, 1, DL
ATL, LGA, 717, DL, 1003, 10:07, 12:00, 1, DL
ATL, LGA, 735, DL, 1005, 10:13, 12:00, 1, DL
LGA, ATL, 739, DL, 1002, 12:00, 10:04, 1, DL
LGA, ATL, 73H, DL, 1004, 12:00, 10:10, 1, DL
LGA, ATL, 320, DL, 1006, 12:00, 10:16, 1, DL

After I pushed DAL1002 back and sent it to the runway (about 3 minutes in game), I got the blue screen with the Page File Warning and the PC shuts down. After the restart, the CPU was still at 73 °C / 163 °F.

I played EDDM for 2.5 hours straight earlier this day without any problems.

Edit: Even if the CPU gets hotter all the time (KLGA only) the load never exceeds 35%. Restricting the Tower!3D Task via the Task Manager to threads 0-3 has also not caused any change. This is a mystery to me and I also don't know what the flooding of the Page File causes.

Edited by EliGrim

9 hours ago, EliGrim said:

Edit: Even if the CPU gets hotter all the time (KLGA only) the load never exceeds 35%. Restricting the Tower!3D Task via the Task Manager to threads 0-3 has also not caused any change. This is a mystery to me and I also don't know what the flooding of the Page File causes.

I have noticed that my computer runs quite hot with  Tower, even using ymml. No problems with overheating though. I have not tried KLGA though.

Ques. How doe you associate CPU threads to the game using the task mamager?? I might try it as I have an AMD CPU with lots of threads.

Kev M

4 hours ago, 707FAN said:

Ques. How doe you associate CPU threads to the game using the task mamager??

Depending on the game engine used and optimization or missing optimization, this is what you typically try to do if you experience stuttering in the game or very unstable frame rates.

• Open Task Manager
  • Click "Details" Tab
  • Right-click "tower3d.exe"
  • Click "Set affinity"

Normally your PC handles the use of the cores very well, so that fiddling around at this place is not necessary and can be counterproductive in many cases. It limits the app to using the selected cores/threads even if they are already under load. I did it temporarily because I was curious if there was a change in the described behavior.
Unless you're using an app that is poorly or non-optimized for multicore processors, I wouldn't recommend making changes here.

Edit: Apart from gaming, there are some useful scenarios; VMs could be an example. In my opinion, the "typical" Windows user is better advised to set priorities, if necessary, instead of manually assigning cores.

Edited by EliGrim

2 hours ago, FeelThere Ariel said:

Have you tried uninstalling and installing KLGA again? 

On 11/3/2019 at 9:13 AM, EliGrim said:

Tower!3D Pro and all AddOns were uninstalled, system and registry cleaned and then reinstalled before I replayed all DLCs (including KLGA).

After today a 0 byte update was displayed at Steam and I had executed it, I tried to play KLGA a few more times trying to get to the bottom of the strange behavior. But that was unsuccessful. The problem persists and I still have no idea what it causes.

Among other things, there is one player who reports that liveries are cut in half, another can't use speech recognition with ATL although it works with another DLC, some players have a wild light show with CDG and others don't, with me LGA kills my PC although it works for others... After excluding all factors known to me that could cause the described behavior, I am sure that the problem is in Tower!3D Pro and not in my system including used hardware and software.

Now I decided not to waste my time anymore. I just don't touch KLGA and enjoy the airports that are working for me. I won't buy any more DLCs anyway and simply take KLGA as a bad buy.

Many thanks to everyone who gave their input here.

I only hope that the developers will schedule long-term technical support for the next version and will not discontinue further development and updates after one year. I'm curious!

well the only one that I seem to have problems with atm is LFPG sometimes when I play that airport airplanes get stuck on the runway and won't taxi to the terminal I have also noticed in LFPG that there are taxiways that are there but that don't show up on the ADIRS screen so don't know what that is all about and also when I give the command to taxi on a certain taxiway the ai doesn't want to taxi that way and it mostly only works with only saying taxi to terminal if I try to get a plane to taxi by a certain taxiway most of the time the ai gets confused and the plane sits there and sits there and sits there and then I get penalized for it sitting there when I told it to taxi to terminal on a certain taxiway.