The simFlight Network Forums

Tower 3D Pro Crashes on Win11 Startup using New Laptop - SOLVED

Martinro73

Purchased a new MSI 11UH-282 laptop with RTX 3080 - 16GB graphics memory, 11th Gen I9 11980HK processor and 64 GB ram. I am running Windows 11 Beta but am reporting in case you are trying to get ready for that upgrade when it releases. 

I purchased the game through Steam and cannot get the app to startup.  Sometimes it never appears at all, at other times I'll hear the music start, I'll see the images start to slide in from the sides of the screen to where I would normally select my airport, set settings, etc.  Unfortunately, it never gets through the slide-in part and then everything closes.

Things I've tried:

1. Uninstalled and Reinstalled several times (deleting the folder where the software is installed @ C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Tower 3D Pro).
  2. Configured the game to run in admin mode but produced no changes.
  3. Changed resolutions from 4k down to 1920x1080 to see if that helped.
  4. I've launched the game from the installation folder and I've tried launching it through the Steam "Play" button with no success.
  5. Ran the game using the BAT startup file and have attached the game.log file. 

Please let me know if you need any other information.  Would love to get this game going on this amazing laptop to see what the game can do!

game.log

Edited by scoobflight
Clarify subject line to reflect question & note issue solved

• scoobflight changed the title to Tower 3D Pro Crashes on Win11 Startup using New Laptop

Based on it trying to launch but failing I would be more inclined to look at direct x or something on the driver side (like WildCards Wifi option) / GPU first.  Could be something in how the OS is handling the CPU thread.  I would be surprised if Win11 ditched the compatibility mode options unless they integrated them more into the functions vs options. 

On 9/9/2021 at 7:38 PM, scoobflight said:

For almost 20 years.

Excellent.  I ask because it would be pointless to ask my next question if you did not work for them.  I'm simply curious how long FeelThere has needed in the past to accommodate emerging OS's once they are released and if they've set any target dates for Windows 11 consideration?  

18 hours ago, DeltaVII said:

Have you tried using the compatibility mode at installation and start - if that is still a thing under Windows 11?

DeltaVII, good idea, I actually did try compatibility mode but with no success.  I tested my other, older, Dell laptop which is also running Windows 11 Beta and the software ran fine so the issue "may" lie somewhere other than just being a Windows 11 Beta issue...though it could still be.

7 hours ago, Ripskin said:

Based on it trying to launch but failing I would be more inclined to look at direct x or something on the driver side (like WildCards Wifi option) / GPU first.  Could be something in how the OS is handling the CPU thread.  I would be surprised if Win11 ditched the compatibility mode options unless they integrated them more into the functions vs options. 

Yes, I'm starting to lean that direction myself after successfully running the Tower!3D Pro software successfully on a Dell XPS laptop that is also running Windows 11 Beta.  The compatibility mode options re still present in the Windows 11 Beta.

4 hours ago, WildCard said:

Microsoft also ditched .NET Framework on earlier builds of Windows 11 and only included .NET Core. As the game is built using .NET Framework, this could be the issue also.

I'm actually a .NET developer myself so I'd have hard time believing they'd get rid of the .NET Framework completely for simple fact of backwards compatibility and the number of software products on the market dependent on the .NET Framework for now would make for slow customer adoption.  That being said, programs I'm writing, and have written with the .NET Framework are working great in Windows 11 Beta.

I also did a test of Tower!3D Pro on my 2 year old Dell XPS laptop...which also has Windows 11 Beta on it...and the game ran successfully. Like you, and Ripskin, have mentioned...my gut feels as if there's a driver, DirectX or GPU related issue occurring.

1 hour ago, Martinro73 said:

set any target dates for Windows 11 consideration? 

For the new version of Tower (aka 3rd version of the game) yes Win11 is being considered - meaning the game will work.

For Tower3D (aka the 2nd version of the game) no ... as the game is the prior version and will not be updated.  When MS does the full release it is hoped Tower3D does work.

Everything about Win11 is unknown as it is in BETA.

3 hours ago, Martinro73 said:

I'm actually a .NET developer myself so I'd have hard time believing they'd get rid of the .NET Framework completely for simple fact of backwards compatibility

Not sure they cared too much about backward compatibility in the Window 11 beta, considering the hardware restrictions for installation. I also never said they were getting rid of .NET Framework completely, just that it doesn't come installed with windows 11. The early betas only included .NET Core 5 (no longer called framework) and did not include earlier frameworks, which is why there are tutorials available that show people how to install the earlier frameworks on windows 11. I'm not sure what is included in the latest betas as I haven't checked.

p.s. I think 4.8 was included as well. The game uses 3.5.

The simple truth is that the game is based on a Unity 5 update that is soon to be 5 years and 6 engine generations old. Since then, the LTS versions of the engine have received over 300 updates and tons of patches. The game itself received its last patch over 3 years ago.
The more modern the player's hardware and software, which includes OS and drivers, the more problems are to be expected. There's simply nothing that can be done about that.

• Upvote 1

On 9/11/2021 at 8:09 AM, EliGrim said:

The simple truth is that the game is based on a Unity 5 update that is soon to be 5 years and 6 engine generations old. Since then, the LTS versions of the engine have received over 300 updates and tons of patches. The game itself received its last patch over 3 years ago.
The more modern the player's hardware and software, which includes OS and drivers, the more problems are to be expected. There's simply nothing that can be done about that.

You are right. I think many software including simulators, games etc will eventually get incompatible with the current or next gen hardware/software. Tower!3D was developed about 5-7 years ago. Tower! Simulator 3 will be based on the latest game engine and the latest OS, etc so likely ( we have yet to see the final version of Windows 11) will be compatible with Win 11. It would be pointless to make it work with the beta version as no-one knows what will stay and what will be added into the final version. 

As of Tower!3D and Win11 I can confirm what Dave said; it's a beta OS so we pretty much can't comment about it. 

Thank you

Vic

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2021 at 3:18 PM, WildCard said:

On a lot of newer systems it seems to be pretty common that the game doesn't like Wi-Fi or at least certain Wi-Fi drivers. Try turning off your laptop's Wi-Fi and then see if the game will work.

WildCard!!  I revisited your suggestion today, along with a few others who made them, and turning off any type of Internet connection solved my problem.  I was able to open and run the software just fine in Windows 11 beta.  I suspect the Killer drivers may be the culprit but wanted to thank you! 

• scoobflight changed the title to Tower 3D Pro Crashes on Win11 Startup using New Laptop - SOLVED
  • 2 weeks later...

I posted in the other thread on this topic as well but, have the same problem where the game (T3DP/Steam, Windows10) will not load if my Ethernet network adapter is enabled. The only way to load the game is to actually disable the network connection via Network & Internet Settings. My motherboard uses an Intel I-V225 chip. This on the surface doesn't appear to make much sense as the Intel driver for this chip hasn't changed in over a year as to why it is now not working. 

Turning off wi-fi or disabling just Wi-Fi makes no difference game will not load if Ethernet is enabled. 

There aren't any error messages in the logfile but, game simply won't start.. While you can work around it, having to turn off the internet is assuredly annoying every time you want to launch it. I've reinstalled drivers, reset the application, deleted and reinstalled the game both vanilla and with RT/RC mods again and has not made any difference so out of ideas other than turn stuff off. 

30 minutes ago, Tullaian said:

I posted in the other thread on this topic as well but, have the same problem where the game (T3DP/Steam, Windows10) will not load if my Ethernet network adapter is enabled. The only way to load the game is to actually disable the network connection via Network & Internet Settings. My motherboard uses an Intel I-V225 chip. This on the surface doesn't appear to make much sense as the Intel driver for this chip hasn't changed in over a year as to why it is now not working. 

Turning off wi-fi or disabling just Wi-Fi makes no difference game will not load if Ethernet is enabled. 

There aren't any error messages in the logfile but, game simply won't start.. While you can work around it, having to turn off the internet is assuredly annoying every time you want to launch it. I've reinstalled drivers, reset the application, deleted and reinstalled the game both vanilla and with RT/RC mods again and has not made any difference so out of ideas other than turn stuff off. 

Since a fix from FeelThere will not be happening, unfortunately, turning off WiFi/Ethernet is the only solution despite customers finding this workaround annoying.

• 3 months later...