The simFlight Network Forums

Rotate ADIRS Display?

Sky King

Is there anyway to rotate the ADIRS display so that when you look at it, it matches what you see visually. For instance, the attachment shows KSAN. It seems to me that the display should be rotated 180 degrees so that runway 27, for example, is on the left of the display which would match what you see outside. Or have I missed something?

Have a great weekend, and best of luck to those in Florida!

SK.

rotate.jpg

3 hours ago, Sky King said:

Is there anyway to rotate the ADIRS display so that when you look at it, it matches what you see visually. For instance, the attachment shows KSAN. It seems to me that the display should be rotated 180 degrees so that runway 27, for example, is on the left of the display which would match what you see outside. Or have I missed something?

Have a great weekend, and best of luck to those in Florida!

SK.

rotate.jpg

Yeah, it should always be the view related to the FAA chart.  It's set based on the real world direction that the airport sits.

Perhaps this is related only to KSAN. Compare the ADIRS directions to that in KLAX (See screenshot). In KLAX, you look out the tower to the 24 set of runways to the right. On the ADIRS, the 24 runways are on the right side, correctly oriented. However, in KSAN (in my previous post), runway 9 is to the right visually, but on the ADIRS it is on the left. It is just another mental calculation that one needs to go through which I think is an error in the program.

And of course, the wind direction on the command bar is wrong also and drives me crazy. I am surprised it isn't fixed yet. In the KSAN screenshot, is the wind from 279 or 99? All the displays I have seen in US Control Towers show the wind from (so you can land into the wind). If the wind was from 279, it seems to me that the triangular arrow should be pointing towards 279.

Regards,

SK

rotate1.jpg

7 minutes ago, Sky King said:

Perhaps this is related only to KSAN. Compare the ADIRS directions to that in KLAX (See screenshot). In KLAX, you look out the tower to the 24 set of runways to the right. On the ADIRS, the 24 runways are on the right side, correctly oriented. However, in KSAN (in my previous post), runway 9 is to the right visually, but on the ADIRS it is on the left. It is just another mental calculation that one needs to go through which I think is an error in the program.

And of course, the wind direction on the command bar is wrong also and drives me crazy. I am surprised it isn't fixed yet. In the KSAN screenshot, is the wind from 279 or 99? All the displays I have seen in US Control Towers show the wind from (so you can land into the wind). If the wind was from 279, it seems to me that the triangular arrow should be pointing towards 279.

Regards,

SK

Gotcha,

I see what you're saying.  I thought you were meaning why the chart is the way it is.  I know the way it is in the game is b/c of airport direction REGARDLESS of where the tower is.  

I'm confused, when I look at the 24 runways at KLAX they are on the right, but when I look at the 25 runways at KLAX they are on the left, then when I look at the 7 runways at KLAX they are on the right but they are on the left on the ADIRS, just like KSAN. And if you search the forum you will find that the wind direction has already been debated to death.

RickyJ

2 hours ago, Sky King said:

Regards,

SK

The wind is coming from 269 at 11 knots in the KSAN screenshot.

The arrow in game points where the wind is going not were the wind is coming from.

Dev

14 hours ago, AC Rogue said:

The wind is coming from 269 at 11 knots in the KSAN screenshot.

The arrow in game points where the wind is going not were the wind is coming from.

Dev

Yep, winds are name for where they're coming "from."  The arrow makes it a bit confusing in the game, agreed.

I don't understand why the arrow points the way it does. It does NOT follow Aviation conventions -- see https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/26549/how-is-wind-direction-reported-blowing-from-or-blowing-to -- and I don't understand why the debate -- the arrow is simply wrong (and yes, IRL I am a pilot).

Anyway, I hope the KSAN ADIRS gets fixed sometime.

SK

SK, I couldn't really find any info on ADIRS on the web. Looks like airports now use ASDE and ASDE-X. All the examples I saw the display had North on top. I couldn't find a real life picture/video./ The only thing I found was someone on VATSIM controlling KSAN. Again, north was on top.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YbgphGbXk4&t=1118sKSAN_VATSIM.thumb.JPG.c203be4b28a66dd5c4643e8db6005669.JPG

Regarding the wind direction - it was dis"cussed" quite heavily in the thread below. Pilots included. Sadly, the link you shared did nothing for me as there is no picture or graphical representation of the indicator.  I sure would like to see one from ATC equipment.

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/82958-pro-wind-indicator/

Regarding the ADIRS, this has been something that I have thought about for some time. I am not an ATC controller but I would have thought that at AP's like KPHL where all of the movement area is on one side, the ADIRS display in the twr would have been the same as seen from the twr windows. i.e the tower basically faces Sth & the ADIRS in the program is showing Nth up as they all do in the Tower program airports. Surely an A/c taxiing from a R/H terminal as viewed from the window should show on the ADIRS in the tower as coming from the right, not have to determine its position from a display that is sort of upside down. Also an A/C landing on 27 L/R is seen coming from the right from the twr but shows up coming from the left on the ADIRS.

The ground controller would want to see the ADIRS display in front of him/her as seen from the tower window. not reversed in any way.

If I am wrong, someone will surely let me know in a big way.

Enjoying KLAS.

Kev M

I'm sure I'm the smart@ss that all developers hate on their own forum but I would not be honest with you guys if I would hide this info.

When we released KLAS for T!2011 one the the tower controller at KLAS told us (and showed photos) that they have an upside down radar screen for the same reason Kev brought up; they see on the radar that they see when they look out on the window. We released KLAS for T!2011 this way and it was a can of worms that we couldn't put back. We received so many complaints about the "wrong" ADIRS that made us decide against it for T!3D. 
So Kev is right but no, it's not possible in T!3D.

Vic

21 hours ago, Sky King said:

I don't understand why the arrow points the way it does. It does NOT follow Aviation conventions -- see https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/26549/how-is-wind-direction-reported-blowing-from-or-blowing-to -- and I don't understand why the debate -- the arrow is simply wrong (and yes, IRL I am a pilot).

Anyway, I hope the KSAN ADIRS gets fixed sometime.

SK

I wouldn't necessarily say the arrow is "wrong," but that it's not as easy to interpret.  I think of it (now) like a windsock and it makes more sense.  I think a nice touch for the next game/update would be a minor redesign of it to where it's more like a windsock of sorts....or even remove the arrow all together and stick with the digital readout.

4 hours ago, FeelThere said:

I'm sure I'm the smart@ss that all developers hate on their own forum but I would not be honest with you guys if I would hide this info.

When we released KLAS for T!2011 one the the tower controller at KLAS told us (and showed photos) that they have an upside down radar screen for the same reason Kev brought up; they see on the radar that they see when they look out on the window. We released KLAS for T!2011 this way and it was a can of worms that we couldn't put back. We received so many complaints about the "wrong" ADIRS that made us decide against it for T!3D. 
So Kev is right but no, it's not possible in T!3D.

Vic

How about making the display user configurable -- so that the default is the current situation and if one wants to have it changed for a specific airport, you can. 

I can understand a non-rotatable ADIRS... if the game was played via VR headset and you were actually in the control tower.  I think it'd be nice to have the option.  There are times I want it to rotate so I know which way I'm looking... and there are other times I don't want it to rotate, because then it'd be taking up screen real estate that I don't really want to give it.