The simFlight Network Forums

Community Project - New Liveries/Models for RC/RT based on Custom Schedules

crbascott

In light of the new liveries/models that will be added to RC for KLAX I asked @nyergesdesign if other custom schedule makers in the community could get in on the action. He responded very positively to the idea and stressed that we should "work this out and continue making the game better". His key point being we'd all need to work together.

I definitely appreciate Joe for opening the door to this opportunity. Obviously Joe's input is important but I would also like to hear from all the current schedule makers' thoughts on this concept.  This is only the first step, we can work out the details of how later if there is unified buy-in.

Using Pete's list, I am including the known custom schedule authors. Again, I''d like to hear your thoughts and obviously the community is welcome to chime in as well. Thanks!

@ATControl -- Joe @hexzed @jonas243 @bcooley66 @Controller- Rogue @crbascott 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think we would all like to have some input on future liveries, so I am definitely open to this idea. 

Everyone who makes schedules i think misses out on some liveries they would like to see in the game, and the fact that we are from all over the world means that we also have our own regional preferences as well.

• Like 2

Well, i only made one schedule and need to learn a bit more about designing schedules and so on (i will probably make one for EDDS when i comes out). So i dont have that much experience, but when you ask me, I am definitely interested to work with you and fill some gaps 🙂 

Great idea and as hexzed said, its good that we are from all over so everyone has some insight/preferences in different airports and parts of the world 🙂

I like the idea, as most people know(either from creating schedules or using them) that there are white planes, and a decision has to be made to change the aircraft or leave it white, which can be annoying/frustrating. I am glad to see that @nyergesdesign is looking to the community to help improve the game for everyone.

If the cooperation is there, as @crbascott mentioned we can look at how we can compare lists/input for future improvements and updates.

I am all for the idea with a small caveat - that if Nyerges and FT have any kind of standard(s) regarding the skins, whether it be as mundane as file size or format, fidelity, etc. that those standards or guidelines be agreed upon and adhered to by the contributors.

I am sure that others would agree we can't have problems cropping up in the game due to different opinions on what makes a custom livery "good" or not. If that is not going to be a concern, then full speed ahead I say.

Correction - my misunderstanding on what was referred to here - sorry. I think it would be great to do this.

Edited by Pdubya
misunderstanding

Pdubya,

I have a completely different understanding on this matter than your idea that contributors will make the liveries, my understanding is that those public spirit members that write custom schedules will give Nyerges Design a wish list of which aircraft/airline liveries are missing from the current RC packs and ND is asked to add these extra liveries to the relevant RC package. So format, fidelity etc still remains in the hands of Gabor at ND.

Wayne

3 minutes ago, winsaudi said:

Pdubya,

I have a completely different understanding on this matter than your idea that contributors will make the liveries, my understanding is that those public spirit members that write custom schedules will give Nyerges Design a wish list of which aircraft/airline liveries are missing from the current RC packs and ND is asked to add these extra liveries to the relevant RC package. So format, fidelity etc still remains in the hands of Gabor at ND.

Wayne

Wayne is correct ... this has nothing do with custom made liveries.

I also write my own schedules using Flight Aware and would be willing to help with input from issues I have found during schedule writing.  I have not posted any schedules since I do not have a Dropbox to post them to,   and my airline knowledge as far as planes and procedures is no where near what a lot of people have.  But I would have some information to share and willing to join in.  For example when I wrote my first schedule for JFK I realized there were 19 listings in the JFK terminal.txt file that had NO airline or NO livery associated with it.

So you can count me willing to help.

Peabody

Thank you @crbascott for this idead and to make this thread.
We will do everything to make this thing work. 
Craig, please start a vote for the next airport everyone wants to see new liveries on. Give a deadline to the vote and to the list too. If the Community has decided about the airport, as winsaudi said, make a complete wish list about the new liveries (aircraft type, airline).
When the update is released, I will sign it here.

Gabor

Great idea and I see @crbascott has started a poll.  What should be stated for the poll is how many changes have occurred at the airport.  For example changes in airlines (i.e. Condor) and how many airlines have changed their liveries since the airport was released (i.e. Alaska, Frontier, etc.).  That information should help drive the updates to get the biggest bang for the buck.  Right now it appears people are guessing which airport might be the one.

Thanks Gabor, @crbascott and @ATControl -- Joe for the updated liveries project and all custom schedule authors.

I also hope @FeelThere will add the ability for us to select which schedule we want to run with the airport from the airport selection screen in the next version instead of having to replace and backup schedule files manually. (Hint hint).

46 minutes ago, VenturaGuy101 said:

What should be stated for the poll is how many changes have occurred at the airport.  For example changes in airlines (i.e. Condor) and how many airlines have changed their liveries since the airport was released (i.e. Alaska, Frontier, etc.).  That information should help drive the updates to get the biggest bang for the buck.  Right now it appears people are guessing which airport might be the one.

Since it is a community vote, I didn't want to add any biases one way or the other to the poll.   

The airport with the most votes will "be the one". Bang for the buck is up to each individual to decide. Plus I would hope eventually we'll get around to most, if not all that "need" updates.