Jump to content
The simFlight Network Forums
ATControl  -- Joe

Reference Cards -- Commands & Airport Specific

Recommended Posts

Peabody    0
17 minutes ago, crbascott said:

From an ATC perspective though, you will see Piedmont.

The reason I was asking is if I were to make a "real" schedule for Philly, it has Piedmont flights. In your previous post you said Piedmont has a IATA code of US, which I checked and that is assigned to "Cactus", so I am seeing Cactus instead of Piedmont, if I understand you correctly.

So if I used a custom schedule with Piedmont PDT4936 with a US code it would still show but as a an AWE4936  Cactus flight.  If I'm right about my understanding of the schedule, it uses the US part to identify and label the plane not the PDT or AWE, right?

And thank you for being so patient with me, I don't mean to be a pain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Peabody said:

The reason I was asking is if I were to make a "real" schedule for Philly, it has Piedmont flights. In your previous post you said Piedmont has a IATA code of US, which I checked and that is assigned to "Cactus", so I am seeing Cactus instead of Piedmont, if I understand you correctly.

So if I used a custom schedule with Piedmont PDT4936 with a US code it would still show but as a an AWE4936  Cactus flight.  If I'm right about my understanding of the schedule, it uses the US part to identify and label the plane not the PDT or AWE, right?

And thank you for being so patient with me, I don't mean to be a pain. 

Needs to be written with a "PDT" starting.  US Airways was merged and is now American.  So US Air & Cactus don't exist anymore -- not sure why the developers leave that in there.  It's been mentioned before.  Maybe it's to appease all us custom builders who'd like to go back in time.

However,, I have the urge to build some custom schedules and liveries and put US Airways back in the game.  Someone mentioned Pan Am earlier....that'd be fun!  Maybe I'll throw in some TWA & Northwest too! :D  *Custom schedules definitely are more fun ha! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
crbascott    13
15 minutes ago, Peabody said:

The reason I was asking is if I were to make a "real" schedule for Philly, it has Piedmont flights. In your previous post you said Piedmont has a IATA code of US, which I checked and that is assigned to "Cactus", so I am seeing Cactus instead of Piedmont, if I understand you correctly.

So if I used a custom schedule with Piedmont PDT4936 with a US code it would still show but as a an AWE4936  Cactus flight.  If I'm right about my understanding of the schedule, it uses the US part to identify and label the plane not the PDT or AWE, right?

And thank you for being so patient with me, I don't mean to be a pain. 

The schedule file uses the IATA code, the terminal file uses the ICAO code, and the airlines file has both.

If you want to see a PDT flight in the sim today, you need to modify the xxxx_airlines.txt file and add the following entry:
PDT, US, PIEDMONT, Piedmont Airlines, United States. 

To avoid confusion, I would remove the following entry:
AWE, US, CACTUS, US Airways, United States

After those changes you will no longer see Cactus flights and any flights in the RT schedule or any custom schedule you build with US as the airline code will have a Piedmont callsign. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ironically, the IATA code for Piedmont just recently changed from US to PT. But making this change opens up a bigger can of worms that would impact both Real Traffic & Real Color. Leaving PDT as US is the best thing for now.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Peabody said:

The reason I was asking is if I were to make a "real" schedule for Philly, it has Piedmont flights. In your previous post you said Piedmont has a IATA code of US, which I checked and that is assigned to "Cactus", so I am seeing Cactus instead of Piedmont, if I understand you correctly.

So if I used a custom schedule with Piedmont PDT4936 with a US code it would still show but as a an AWE4936  Cactus flight.  If I'm right about my understanding of the schedule, it uses the US part to identify and label the plane not the PDT or AWE, right?

And thank you for being so patient with me, I don't mean to be a pain. 

If it concerns you that much and you really want to see Piedmont you can add them the the Philly airlines file

PDT, US, PIEDMONT, Piedmont Airlines, United States

and you can just // in front of AWE, US, Cactus

that way they are there if you ever make a custom schedule with them

but if you // the AWE line and add the Piedmont line all the AWE flights should correctly show up as Piedmont..... it was removed by accident.... AWE was suppose to be the one removed as in the files they had the same code.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
crbascott    13
34 minutes ago, ATControl -- Joe said:

 So US Air & Cactus don't exist anymore -- not sure why the developers leave that in there.  It's been mentioned before.  Maybe it's to appease all us custom builders who'd like to go back in time.

There was a post about duplicate IATA codes with AWE and PDT on this list as both having US. By keeping AWE and removing PDT - this happened. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubw5N8iVDHI

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fizziii    0

Anyone know the proper way to pronounce Avianca at JFK?  I tried it the way the program was pronouncing it and it wouldn't recognize it.  I tried changing emphasis and never got it to recognize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Fizziii said:

Anyone know the proper way to pronounce Avianca at JFK?  I tried it the way the program was pronouncing it and it wouldn't recognize it.  I tried changing emphasis and never got it to recognize.

Ahv-E-unk-Ah works for me.  Say it slower or faster.  Sim has a problem w A-letter aircraft at various times.  Like ABEX cargo that lands/departs ATL and LAX, I could say that name 20 times and get it to pick up maybe 2-3 of those attempts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
futureboy    23
21 hours ago, ATControl -- Joe said:

However,, I have the urge to build some custom schedules and liveries and put US Airways back in the game.  Someone mentioned Pan Am earlier....that'd be fun!  Maybe I'll throw in some TWA & Northwest too! :D  *Custom schedules definitely are more fun ha! :D

This would be great if you don't mind controlling a bunch of "White" planes since there is not a vehicle for custom liveries.

RickyJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, futureboy said:

This would be great if you don't mind controlling a bunch of "White" planes since there is not a vehicle for custom liveries.

RickyJ

A good controller doesn't need to see 'liveries' on a plane.  A data tag and a sense of location and anything is possible.  If you're controlling based on finding a color on an airfield, then you're wasting time when today's technology will do it all

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pdubya    0
5 hours ago, Fizziii said:

Anyone know the proper way to pronounce Avianca at JFK?  I tried it the way the program was pronouncing it and it wouldn't recognize it.  I tried changing emphasis and never got it to recognize.

Fizziii:

I had the exact same problem at JFK. My solution was to go into the kjfk_airlines.txt file and...

avi_KA2017-09-14_182031.png.58f8761348bcc07996620b92d2b62b69.png

modify the line 11 entry for AVA or Avianca. The third entry is the key one for pronunciation in-game. I changed it (again just now) after the recent service pack updates to the airports, which resets it back to spelling with a "c" rather than a "k". So, open it in a text editor ( I swear by Notepad++, it's free) and change the "c" to a "k". Save and start JFK.

Got it?

avi_KB2017-09-14_182104.png.bacb6ff5af309051b45f0130cac7a6b1.png

It might not be foolproof, but for me the voice recognition correctly interprets "AVIANKA" as Avianca. Previously it would never work for me, no matter how I parsed my speech, etc.

So give it a go and let me know if it works for you too.

Note: You can also experiment with spaces in airline names. I tried AVI ANCA and AVI ANKA before settling on AVIANKA that sounded more like the actual airline name and still worked with VR. Try different things and see which work for you in the game. Since everyone's voice is different, you may have to attempt a few different formats before (hopefully) a solution is forthcoming.

Enjoy!

Paul

Edited by Pdubya
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
futureboy    23
56 minutes ago, ATControl -- Joe said:

A good controller doesn't need to see 'liveries' on a plane.  A data tag and a sense of location and anything is possible.  If you're controlling based on finding a color on an airfield, then you're wasting time when today's technology will do it all

Sounds like you need to stick with Tower!2011!!!!!!!!!
And makes those reference cards of the tail art, for which this thread was started by you, OBSOLETE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ATControl -- Joe said:

A good controller doesn't need to see 'liveries' on a plane.  A data tag and a sense of location and anything is possible.  If you're controlling based on finding a color on an airfield, then you're wasting time when today's technology will do it all

I couldn't agree with you more... I wish there was a way to disable to runway view altogether, I play with the 3 HUDs up and expand them to pretty much cover the entire monitor.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
futureboy    23
20 hours ago, blipadouzi -- Jim D. said:

I couldn't agree with you more... I wish there was a way to disable to runway view altogether, I play with the 3 HUDs up and expand them to pretty much cover the entire monitor.

Yes, I agree.

Hey FeelThere, can you make the next version without the 3D view and Nyerges can stop making the color planes?  You can call it Tower!NoView. This seems to be getting popular.  A couple people want to just see data tags.

image.jpeg.c298f98077c842aa1e07b61cc246bcd4.jpeg

RickyJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, futureboy said:

Yes, I agree.

Hey FeelThere, can you make the next version without the 3D view and Nyerges can stop making the color planes?  You can call it Tower!NoView. This seems to be getting popular.  A couple people want to just see data tags.

image.jpeg.c298f98077c842aa1e07b61cc246bcd4.jpeg

RickyJ

Allow me to justify my statement.  I do really enjoy the real life liveries, and seeing the planes taxi and such.  But let's be honest... unless the aircraft is DIRECTLY in front of the tower, you can barely see it at all, if it's far enough away it look nothing more than a bare white plane, so the Real Colours add-on is useless.  If Cinematic view could be the permanent view from all angles, then that would be another story altogether.

 

On another note, if we are going for realism... it is not totally uncommon for a Flight Controller to have absolutely no visibility of the outside.  Often a control tower will have 2 or 3 levels to it, and only the upper most level has windows.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
winsaudi    12
6 hours ago, crbascott said:

For those that enjoy blips and dots may I suggest the following: http://www.ponggame.org/

For the record, I lost 10-6. :)

Hilarious! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 Great post Craig, it's made my day.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×