The simFlight Network Forums

SPEECH ISSUES

FeelThere_Vic

1 hour ago, raiden86 said:

They just delete it without even telling you way or giving you an answer?

Vic wrote in this thread's initial post -

"Please make sure to report the following [see first post for list of questions to answer] with your initial report otherwise we will delete it to make it clean and readable both for you who needs help and for us who try to help"

The group with this information will happily assist. 🙂

6 hours ago, raiden86 said:

Did I miss something?

CORTANA IS WORKING AND YOU CAN TALK TO IT?

SPEECH IS TRAINED?

MAKE SURE TO USE THE SHIFT BUTTON TO TALK TO TOWER3D?

MAKE SURE THE COMMAND YOU ISSUE USES THE EXACT SYNTAX AS IT IS IN THE MANUAL?

If it still fails:

SOUND DRIVER IS THE LATEST?

MICROPHONE IS WORKING?

if it still fails

USE A USB MICROPHONE?

US VOICE PACK REINSTALLED?

if all fails

ATTACH GAME LOG AND SPEECH LOG (do not post data inline or post will be deleted!)

1 hour ago, scoobflight said:

SPEECH IS TRAINED?

If it still fails:

MICROPHONE IS WORKING?

if it still fails

USE A USB MICROPHONE?

if all fails

ATTACH GAME LOG AND SPEECH LOG (do not post data inline or post will be deleted!)

On 2/13/2019 at 8:08 PM, crbascott said:

That's what I thought and unless I'm mistaken it's required.

On 2/14/2019 at 4:00 AM, EliGrim said:

Because it's worth trying. Maybe it helps and it's no big deal. Of course you don't have to do anything at all, but then you can't get to the bottom of the problem.

I can confirm that, and I just come from a troubleshooting odyssey. Having it activated but not listening works best for me. Seems to keep the speech synthesis triggered. (But that's just a wild guess.)

I've disabled Cortana, so it's obviously not necessary to keep it running. I think that's to be understood as a tool: If Cortana can hear you, it should also be possible for the game! But you have to understand that listening and proper interpreting are different things.

Good point! A delay could absolutely cause problems. You could try holding down the PTT button longer or actually try using a wired microphone. Ambient or transmission noise can also be a problem.

When you play the game, you use the core of the speech synthesis that you train during the game and not a, by many users, highly trained tool like Cortana or other tools with speech recognition. The recommended training in advance creates the foundation for further training in the game. This is technically not entirely accurate, but may help understanding.

So is Cortana on or off because there seems to be some disagreement. Also speech recognition? On off?

29 minutes ago, Someguythere said:

So is Cortana on or off because there seems to be some disagreement. Also speech recognition? On off?

No disagreement at all. Cortana is not relevant to the game - as mentioned before it is just to verify that voice recognition works on your system. I never use Cortana on my system - so it is off.

You need to have voice recognition open/available, but for best results while playing the game you should set the status to "Off: Do not listen to anything I say". You should also spend some time doing Speech Recognition Voice Training at some point.

3 hours ago, scoobflight said:

SPEECH IS TRAINED?

If it still fails:

MICROPHONE IS WORKING?

if it still fails

USE A USB MICROPHONE?

if all fails

Yes, Cortana is working and I can talk to it.
Yes, Speech is trained.

Yes, I'm using SHIFT KEY to talk to Tower3D.

Yes, the command I'm using is the exact syntax.

Yes, the sound drivers are the latest.

Yes, the microphone is working(how I would be able to talk to Cortana if the mic isn't working?)

Yes, I'm using a USB mic.

Yes, I did reinstall the voice pack.

game.log

speech.log

2 hours ago, scoobflight said:

The computer crashed!?

No, I turned the computer off to go to sleep. Then this morning I turn it on.

Now is doing the same, when I speak, the game doesn't type at all. I know the mic is working because I enabled "Listen to this device" so I can hear my voice back. Yesterday I closed and opened the game several times so that's not the issue. Speech recognition is working I can dictate without a problem. Cortana is working as well. 

5 hours ago, FeelThere Ariel said:

Have you tried running Tower3DPro as Administrator? 

As I mentioned before. Yes, I'm running Tower3DPro and towerspeakbridge as administrator.
It worked two days ago, is not working anymore.

This reads like another application(s) is interfering.  What program(s) did you start before running the game when it didn't work v. the time it did? You have a system specific issue(s) intermittently blocking Microsoft's voice recognition from communicating with the game.

1 hour ago, scoobflight said:

This reads like another application(s) is interfering.  What program(s) did you start before running the game when it didn't work v. the time it did? You have a system specific issue(s) intermittently blocking Microsoft's voice recognition from communicating with the game.

First thing I do when my computer starts is run Tower3D! Pro. I know voice recognition is working because I'm able to dictate witouth a problem. Also since I'm a programmer I created a little C# app to test Microsoft Speech SDK and it works perfectly. 
If my app is capable of collect audio from the mic and convert it to text without a problem I don't understand why Tower3D! Pro can't if both are using the same Microsoft Voice Recognition library. Tower3D! is acting like if I was not speaking at all. I tried disabling the Antivirus and that didn't work. Next thing I'm going to try is creating another user account and see what happen. 

23 minutes ago, scoobflight said:

Again, the question remains why did it work and now it doesn't?  What in your system was different the time it worked?

That day was the day I was playing with that app to test Voice Recognition. I tested it and then I went to Tower3D to try something and it was working.

Nothing else changed.

So I was able to hunt the problem and find the cause.

I have a dedicated sound card, an ASUS one. And this sound card came with this software STRIX SOUND CARD. It gets installed on C:\Program Files\ASUSTeKcomputer.Inc\nhAsusStrix\UserInterface, and the .exe name is nhAsusStrixUILauncher.exe. 

I was able to make it work by killing the app and set it to not boot up when Windows start.

I hope this helps other users to troubleshoot this problem. Any software installed to handle the sound card in any way could be interfering with Tower3D! 

Still, don't know why an app I created that uses the same Windows Speech Recognition library as Tower3D! was working fine even with the ASUS software running.

I work in IT and this was a weird issue for sure.

Thanks for your help and now I can go and complain about things in the game, but on another post. 😆

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, raiden86 said:

Still, don't know why an app I created that uses the same Windows Speech Recognition library as Tower3D! was working fine even with the ASUS software running.

Your sound card's app may use the same audio channel for game or Windows sound as your microphone. During the test (with the app you created), you probably had no sound or music playing in the background that got in the way of your voice. There may be settings in the app that allows you to use it with the game. Just a guess because I had a comparable problem.

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

My VR profile has no issues in Tower3D except for the "taxi via" commands. Even the more complex triple barrel takeoff clearances are no issue.  I am have completed the actions described at the beginning of the post.  However as i have mentioned the issue seems to not be a recognition problem but more a coding problem.  Since intersection takeoff clearances and exit clearances that involve taxiways always work perfectly.  (as do all taxi commands on the old Tower 2011.)  I do use a great many ATC speech recognition software (Tower 2011, TRACON,  London Control,  ATCpro,  VOXatcX,  ATCsimulator2   and various FS2CREW versions).  Speech recognition quality is never an issue.  

My log files are too big to send via this system please PM me an email address where I can send them to (if required).

This issue has continued for over a year ( I was hoping at service pack would fix it ) but at this point I have run out of ideas.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

JB

3 hours ago, Jono said:

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a little confused. Why do you leave your original thread? There were users who wanted to help.

3 hours ago, Jono said:

My VR profile has no issues in Tower3D except for the "taxi via" commands.

If I get you right, then T!3Dpro does understand you correctly and without problems. Only if you say "taxi via", it will not be understood. Have you tried different speech paces or a clean installation to exclude modified files? What have you done so far to tackle the issue? Do you use the latest version of the game? (v1.2.78.946 SP3.3c)

3 hours ago, Jono said:

My log files are too big to send via this system please PM me an email address where I can send them to (if required).

You can contact FeelThere, including file attachments, via ZenDesk. Just go to their website (https://www.feelthere.com/), click on "Contact us" and then on "Submit a request".