The simFlight Network Forums

SPEECH ISSUES

FeelThere_Vic

• 2 weeks later...

HI, I know this topic has been discussed sooo much; I think I have done everything I can to follow what has been written but i still have not been able to use voice. One thing I noticed that the file towerspeakbridge.exe is just a really small file in my feelthere folder. I don't know if that is the way it is supposed to be. I am able to speak to cortana and she can hear me; i am using an internal microphone, I don't know exactly how to make tower3d.exe trusted for my virus software...there is no button but I was able to see something that said Norton does not see any problems with Feelthere... I guess that is the same... I have gotten the computer to be able to "listen" to me but it does not hear feelthere....  when I go to the software , hold down the shift key and talk sometimes I do see some text show up but it is never what I said and always comes "AFTER"  I finished talking and not "WHILE"..(I dont know if that makes sense) I would appreciate some guidance.  This portal has helped me greatly in the past... I have put this off for too long... this should not be that difficult for me to get to work.... I am getting good at typing commands but when I have high takeoff and landing rates I just always get way too behind and everything starts building up.. If I could get speech to work I feel it may work easier.  Thank you

Hi Feelthere Ariel,

Here are some screen shots; if I am missing something I am sorry; I am trying to fix this. I appreciate you helping me. I did try to run the game while having Norton disabled and had "some" success -- the system heard and repeated what I said.. but only bits and pieces so I feel I am really close. Norton had no problem with the main feelthere file, but I was not able to get a screen shot.   I hope this helps  I didn't know if you already wanted me to send you  a log  or not and  also I wasn't sure exactly which file it was. Thank you Ashlee

cortana 2.png

feelthere menu 1.png

feelthere menu 2.png

feelthere menu 3.png

feelthere menu screenshot.png

language.png

norton.png

region.png

sound.png

talk to cortana.png

HI, I think I got it to work. I am still having to figure out the speed of my speech and sometimes it does not type what I "tell it to" ... but in general it is working. I may still need some help tweeking.  If you see anything that can be fixed in the above please let me know. Ashlee

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w55u82yzwke25hm/game.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hnvv42024h3pvzz/speech.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5le56vzr45mnel/Tower1.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fk4w9yupe0riqw8/Tower2.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvnl01n1okl5ien/Tower3.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mnbdf35zd8qm7dm/Tower4.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lx72xgcim88duyq/Tower5.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2naob95te6khzdj/Tower6.gif?dl=0

Hi so, I just downloaded the game today from steam. I also purchased and installed RJTT DLC with Real Traffic and Real color for RJTT add on from the atcsuite website. I had tried all the above steps and it seems to me that the speech just game just doesn't really understand my words. My cortona works fine, i also did the train speech recognition.  But in the game, like, i been spending good 1 2hr trying to get the speech "sun country 788, pushback approve, expect runway 28", it finally work when i run the game in .bat file, but it just.. the problem is the game keep interpreting what i said as totally something else for example "sun country 788 continue taxi" the game understand as "sun country 788 left" "sun country 788, report heading" " sun country 788, go" etc.. Kindly help me as i really wanna play and enjoy this game as I am a trainee atc that is stuck at home.

Hi thank you for your quick respone

Yes i have changed the language to US english as shown in my SS.

And i did quick extension training to the speech recognition engine, although i am not a native US speaker, but i am from Singapore, where our official language is in English, so I believe that i enunciated my words quite clearly but it seem like what i said and what the game perceive it is hearing is totally different

looking forward to your reply

thank you

@jade2942
Something else to consider is the quality of the microphone being used. Cheaper mics have a harder time passing clear audio to the text-to-speech engine. I've had personal experience with this, and a better mic (attached to a better headset) made a world of difference for me. It's possible it could for you, too. 🙂

Hi Jade 2942, I too had issues with speech,  so you are not alone. Everyone is really helpful here so I will try to help you too because I know what it is like to face technical challenges.  Everything Feelthere Ariel and Battlehawk 77 said is good information. Couple of additional tips:  If you look at the pics I submitted the page "settings" that is a screen shot of the game, has proven to be very important also. You will need to play with the levels of volume like "Master Volume", "Speech sound volume" , "Sound effects volume" and "Environment volume.  If they are not set correctly that could affect your speech. (you will need to use trial and error to find what works best ) You definitely want to keep  Environment and Sound Effects as low as possible (yes you still want to hear it but try to keep it as low as possible). Also, make sure there are little or no noises in your room like dish washer, washing machine, tv, etc. They will also affect your speech. Last, make sure you know EXACTLY what the phrase is that you have to say for example:  UNITED 1234 TAXI TO TERMINAL or   UNITED 1234, RUNWAY 27 CLEARED TO LAND.  If the phrases are not 100% correct the game will not understand you. Let me know if this helps or if you have additional questions. If you need a list of the commands I can help you with that. Also don't talk too fast and don't talk too slow. It will take again some trial and error to find out what works 🙂  Ashlee

1 hour ago, battlehawk77 said:

Something else to consider is the quality of the microphone being used.

In terms of quality, the Jabra Elite in-ears should be more than adequate. Personally, I would always prefer a wired microphone or headset designed for use on a PC rather than a smartphone. But that shouldn't be the problem here.

14 hours ago, jade2942 said:

it finally work when i run the game in .bat file

You could go through the steps of the following link and see if you skipped anything.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/588190/discussions/0/1861616237337417643/#c1861616237337882271
However, your system seems to be set up correctly. Just make sure that tower3d.exe is running as administrator and that parts of towerspeakbridge.exe and tower3d.exe are not blocked by any anti-virus or firewall software.

To be honest, not all the steps listed are necessary, but they do not hurt.
For example, the option "Recognize non-native accents for this language" is in my opinion more relevant for Cortana and not the Windows Speech SDK. But as already said, it does not hurt to have it activated, I'd recommend it.

1 hour ago, AshleeL said:

You will need to play with the levels of volume like "Master Volume", "Speech sound volume" , "Sound effects volume" and "Environment volume.  If they are not set correctly that could affect your speech.

These sliders are irrelevant for speech recognition, as long as the audio settings in Windows are correct and the microphone does not pick up any game sound.

Also, make sure there are little or no noises in your room like dish washer, washing machine, tv, etc. They will also affect your speech.

This is true. Big time! Especially if you're new to the game, the room should be as quiet as possible. As soon as speech recognition is working reliably, background noise is handled quite well.

If the phrases are not 100% correct the game will not understand you. [..] Also don't talk too fast and don't talk too slow. It will take again some trial and error to find out what works.

In addition, I would recommend speaking in a robotic way and emphasizing each word individually. Also, it has proven to be a good idea to have a small pause of half a second to one second between callsign and the rest of the command.
Once speech recognition begins to work reliably, you can start to speak more naturally.

Unlike Cortana which is well trained by millions of people, speech recognition in your Windows is just beginning to learn.
For me it took about 10 hours until commands were understood somewhat reliably. After about 30 hours I could speak commands much faster. After about 50 hours of playing the game the speech recognition worked perfectly, except for few glitches, which still appear from time to time.

The speech recognition continues to learn as you play the game. Nevertheless, it is helpful to do the voice training from time to time during the first weeks or months.

If you need a list of the commands I can help you with that.

Ooh, I can do that too!
https://forum.simflight.com/topic/88370-tower3d-pro-tools/

I'm sorry, Ashlee, for using your offer to help as softball. I hope you forgive me. 😓

Thank you to all your kind advices and help! I am truly overwhelmed by how supportive the people in this forum is(:

@battlehawk77@battlehawk77  as mentioned by @EliGrimthe headset im using is Jabre Elite 65T Active, so its not really a cheaper quality headset hahs but thank you! 

@AshleeLyes i see that now! People like you are really very helpful. 

@EliGrim the steam link you provided is very useful. I followed the procedure step by step and even retrain my speech recognition x3 times. The callsign link too. Especially the voice commands cheatsheet. My Laptop doesn't have a anti virus software, im only using the default window defender., so i am not too sure about how to go about making sure that the two file are save and trusted by the laptop. 

Things now works much better than before, i can now give push, taxi, landing and take off clearance. But i cannot give more detailed clearances such as United1647, taxi to apron via A, C. / N860FT, wind is 032 at 2knots,clear to land. 

But i mean.. At least its much much better than before. So i guess what i should do now is to keep doing the speech recognition training? Do the game itself learn from my voice inputs over time as i play more and more in the game? 

As 

8 hours ago, jade2942 said:

Things now works much better than before, i can now give push, taxi, landing and take off clearance. But i cannot give more detailed clearances such as United1647, taxi to apron via A, C. / N860FT, wind is 032 at 2knots,clear to land. 

The latter command you state here is not valid. You might want to peruse the manual (pinned thread) and familiar yourself with valid command syntax.

5 hours ago, jade2942 said:

im only using the default window defender., so i am not too sure about how to go about making sure that the two file are save and trusted by the laptop.

With Windows Defender you are good to go, no additional changes needed.

N860FT, wind is 032 at 2knots,clear to land.

As @crbascott already mentioned, this is not a valid command. If you want to use wind information for landing clearance, you need to use the modified tower3d.rec you can also find here: https://forum.simflight.com/topic/88370-tower3d-pro-tools/
In the real world, your command would be correct. In the game (for arrivals only) it is the other way round. N860FT, cleared to land, wind is (0)32 at 2 knots.
It doesn't work the other way around in the game, because it wasn't originally designed to use wind information for landing clearances.

So i guess what i should do now is to keep doing the speech recognition training? Do the game itself learn from my voice inputs over time as i play more and more in the game?

Yes and yes! 😉

Edit: What @crbascott was also referring to is the annotated user manual from @rameus, which is definitely worth reading:

Edited by EliGrim

EliGrim, yes I forgive you :) It was actually quite cool to be "quoted" by an expert :) Wir koennen auch in Deutsch reden wenn Sie wollen.   Ashlee

P.S.: I just have a general question. Feelthere sells "airplanes" on their site. What is the name of the topic to learn how this works. Are they used with a flight simulator?   Do they go with xplane 11 or is there another software here they are used with. Just trying to understand. I think I will be concentrating on ATC but may want to at least look at this. thanks.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AshleeL said:

P.S.: I just have a general question. Feelthere sells "airplanes" on their site. What is the name of the topic to learn how this works. Are they used with a flight simulator?   Do they go with xplane 11 or is there another software here they are used with. Just trying to understand. I think I will be concentrating on ATC but may want to at least look at this. thanks.

We are the developers of Embraer Ejets and ERJ´s for FS9, FSX, and P3D. 🙂

Hi Feelthere Ariel:   I know this is not the correct thread for this topic; I just didn't know where to go to ask this question. Where can I go as sort of an introduction  to how this is done; I know pretty much nothing about it.  I am a little familiar with xplane 11 and am considering buying it. Is there a tutorial or an introduction somewhere on how to get started? (A booklet or something ). Can these be used on xplane 11? what is FS9, FSX and p3d?

thanks

34 minutes ago, AshleeL said:

what is FS9, FSX and p3d?

FS9: Version 9.0/9.1 of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004
FSX: Microsoft Flight Simulator X
P3D: Lockheed Martin Prepar3D

38 minutes ago, AshleeL said:

I am a little familiar with xplane 11 and am considering buying it.

Personally, I am a fan of X-Plane 11, but it might be worth waiting for the Microsoft Flight Simulator (unofficial name: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020).

But this is quite off topic and I will stop posting at this point.

Thank you all once again for the quick response and help!

@EliGrim I had downloaded the modified rec file and will try it out later! Thank you for the advice. It's better because it is more realistic because from what I am learning right now in my course, it is actually essential to give Wind information for landing clearances even though pilot can obtain wind information can be on ATIS frequency. 

And yes! @EliGrim and @crbascott , the user manual is definitely very helpful!

Thank you all!

Just a side question, is there a thread in this forum where we can like, request for Airport to the developer so they might take in the suggestion and come out with it in future DLC? I really would like to have WSSS add on.

Meanwhile, Good day! 

• 3 weeks later...

My voice recognition worked without any major issues from when the game came out (after going through the whole voice learning stuff). I stopped playing for about a year and recently wanted to get back into it with some of the new airports released.

Now my voice input doesn't work at all. The only thing that's changed is the Country setting in Steam (Australia to New Zealand) and my Win10 location settings (Australia to New Zealand). The default language is still set to English (US). All other voice commands outside the game works without any problems. According to the speech.log file, the list time I successfully used voice commands was on the 3rd of February, 2019 at 10:22am.

In the 'Initialise recognition thread' section of the file, it

-- 1 -- Create Commands

-- 2 --

-- 3 --
cnt grammars: 62
add grammars: 0
recog_airplanes1=[] ‘ RUNWAY ’ recog_runways1=[]
EXCEPTION base:'one-of' must contain at least one 'item' element.
EXCEPTION src:System.Speech:0
EXCEPTION stack:   at System.Speech.Internal.SrgsParser.XmlParser.ThrowSrgsException(SRID id, Object[] args)
   at System.Speech.Internal.SrgsCompiler.OneOf.System.Speech.Internal.SrgsParser.IElement.PostParse(IElement parentElement)
   at System.Speech.Internal.GrammarBuilding.BuilderElements.CreateChildrenElements(IElementFactory elementFactory, IRule parent, IdentifierCollection ruleIds)
   at System.Speech.Internal.GrammarBuilding.RuleElement.CreateElement(IElementFactory elementFactory, IElement parent, IRule rule, IdentifierCollection ruleIds)
   at System.Speech.Internal.GrammarBuilding.SemanticKeyElement.CreateElement(IElementFactory elementFactory, IElement parent, IRule rule, IdentifierCollection ruleIds)
   at System.Speech.Recognition.GrammarBuilder.InternalGrammarBuilder.CreateElement(IElementFactory elementFactory, IElement parent, IRule rule, IdentifierCollection ruleIds)
   at System.Speech.Recognition.GrammarBuilder.CreateGrammar(IElementFactory elementFactory)
   at System.Speech.Recognition.GrammarBuilder.Compile(Stream stream)
   at System.Speech.Recognition.Grammar.LoadCfg(Boolean isImportedGrammar, Boolean stgInit)
   at System.Speech.Recognition.Grammar.LoadAndCompileCfgData(Boolean isImportedGrammar, Boolean stgInit)
   at System.Speech.Recognition.Grammar.InitialGrammarLoad(String ruleName, Object[] parameters, Boolean isImportedGrammar)
   at System.Speech.Recognition.Grammar..ctor(GrammarBuilder builder)
   at towerspeakbridge.Recog.Loop()
Close from app
Close TTS thread...
Close recognition thread...

------------------- DONE -----------------------------

By that time I've already had three outgoing and 2 incoming planes in the stack ingame, so I get frustrated with the voice commands not working and quit the game.

People are still having issues with voice commands in this game. Hopefully the next version of the game doesn't rely on such exact set of circumstances for the voice commands to work.

1 hour ago, G0tchas said:

My voice recognition worked without any major issues from when the game came out (after going through the whole voice learning stuff). I stopped playing for about a year and recently wanted to get back into it with some of the new airports released.

Windows has gone through many updates any/all could have broken/reset window's voice recognition.

Have you installed/removed any hardware or software since last playing the game?

Have you retrained voice recognition?

Follow the instructions in the first post of this topic including answering all questions.

ATTACH any log DO NOT post log file contents into your answering post - ONLY attach any log files.

Also, that particular error indicates that your tower3d.rec file (where the voice recognition commands are) is most likely corrupt or has a badly formatted command in it. If you don't know how to fix this yourself then use Steam's game file fixer.

Or it's the error that always gets triggered when the game is initially loaded. When an airport gets loaded, it works fine, and something else is causing your problem. So as @scoobflight said, attaching the log file is the best way to figure out the real problem.